Friday, July 3, 2009

Recent Purchases


I used to be a once a week buyer. I used to be there on Wednesday without fail, waiting for the new shipment of comics to be put out. Now I get there whenever I can. Very rarely will I make it within a week's time of my last visit, sometimes a month will go by before I can make it. But I also don't try and buy every comic that comes out anymore either. I'm a lot more selective in what I buy. I figure if I buy a comic and after I get home I don't want to read it, than that's a comic that I won't be picking up the next trip to the comic store.

I picked up a few comics on this last trip. I've already talked about Batman and Robin and Detective Comics, so I won't repeat that here, except to say both are excellent and you should pick them up.

The New Avengers: Bendis is what pulled me back into Marvel Comics with his run on Daredevil after I had pretty much given up on it. His run on the Avengers has been so hit and miss. Part of the problem is that with all the events lately the Avengers seems to be just a spin off on whatever big even is going on. But this issue is Bendis at his best, setting up a new Sorcerer Supreme.

Daredevil: Still one of my favorite comics. I've been a fan of Daredevil almost since his inception. But the last few years have been my favorite version of the man without fear. I think it's better than Miller's run since Bendis and now Burbaker have been on it.

Echo: I was a fan of Terry Moore and his Strangers in Paradise, but in the end I wasn't that satisfied with that series. This series has suffered none of what I found wrong with that series. This is in fact one of my top comics that I pick up. I can't wait to see where he's going with it. And while I'm not sure what the frequency of its publication has been, I do know it's been pretty reliable.

Captain American: Reborn: Very well written and drawn but pretty much just a set up for the next issue. Not sure how I feel about the fact that Steve Rogers wasn't shot and killed now, he was shot with a gun that threw him a time statsis, where he now is tumbling through time. But than we all knew that Steve Rogers was coming back. (Not that I mind that, I am a big fan of the Steve Rogers Cap and am looking forward to his re appearance. Even though Burbaker did a good job with Buck as Cap.)

The Boys and Herogasm: Not for kids, but I love this series. Ennis is another writer I either really love and the opposite. And I'm loving this.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Maybe it was just me but I found some of the transitions between scenes to be confusing. I had to go back and re read some pages to figure out where I was supposed to be. Still it's Buffy.

Detective Comics: This was the second half of Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert's "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" I am a big fan of Gaiman but this book really didn't do it for me.





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: