Friday, April 10, 2009

Palomar

I've had this book sitting on my bookshelf for a long time. I'd pick it up and read a story here and there. When Love and Rockets was first published back in the early nineties I picked it up and fell in love with the stories immediately. I loved both Jamie and Gilbert, but to me Gilbert's work was always a bit more special. His stories of the city of Palomar was unlike anything in comics. In the last week or so I've been re-reading the saga of Palomar. This book is five hundred pages and collects all of the stories Gilbert did between 1993 and 2002. This book will take your breath away. It's that good. This isn't comics, it's literature.

A companion volume Luba is scheduled to come out soon. This five hundred page volume collects the stories since the end of Palomar. I can't wait to get it. These are stories that I missed on their first time out for the most part. After the brothers suspended their regular publication of Love and Rockets I found it hard to keep up with them. So I'm excited that most of these stories will be new to me.

Now it just has to hurry up and come out.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: